Norwegian Cruise Lines: Freestyle Cruising
Norwegian Cruise Lines is a colourful and modern line, eschewing many traditional cruising elements for modern holiday concepts and a casual atmosphere. They are set apart from other mainstream cruise lines with their philosophy of choice - in dining, in entertainment, in attire, in schedules and in added extras which allow passengers to customise their cruise. ... Read more
No cruise deals found. Please search again or change the filters.
Norwegian cruises aren't for those who like the old-fashioned traditions of cruising, but for those who want to do what they want, when they want. Multiple dining venues, multiple bars and lounges and relaxed dress codes are staples of the "freestyle" NCL philosophy.
The NCL fleet is very recognisable, thanks to colourful designs painted on the hulls of each ship. Each one is a unique work of art, brightening up any port it enters.
- Breakaway Class: Consisting of the Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway, this class also has a 2.0 version, Breakaway Plus Class which currently includes the Norwegian Epic and Norwegian Escape with a few more ships on the way. The Breakaway was one of the first to take the freestyle concept to the next level, and these ships are packed with options.
- Jewel Class: This class is made up of the Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Pearl and Norwegian Gem. These ships provide all the choice that NCL cruisers know and love!
- Dawn Class: With just the Norwegian Star and Norwegian Dawn, this is a small class of slightly older ships. The Star was the first ship custom-built for Freestyle cruising!
- Sun Class: This is another two-ship class, including the Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Sun. These are also slightly older vessels which retain their youthful feel.
- The Norwegian Spirit and Pride of America are both in a class of their own! The Pride is the first US-flagged passenger ship to be built in more than 50 years, a very patriotic vessel.
Although the line focuses largely on the Caribbean, Hawaii and Alaska, it does reach much further than North America. NCL is increasingly offering sailings in the Mediterranean and Europe,with occasional excursions to South America and the South Pacific. They also offer sailings from Australia starting in 2017.
There's something for everyone with NCL! The nightly shows, range of bars and lounges, casinos, dances, parties and other evening shenanigans will keep all passengers happy after the sun goes down.
Before that happens, the daytime has just as much to offer. When not embarking on an exciting shore excursion, cruisers can partake in plenty of organised activities - these vary across the fleet but might include classes and workshops, Wii tournaments, rock climbing, giant chess, sports, swimming pools and aqua parks. The line caters well to kids too, with its Splash Academy program for those aged 6 months to 12 years, and Entourage for the 13-17 year olds.
Every ship has at least two main dining rooms, so you can go where you want when you want - there are no set times or tables. There are also buffets with a range of stations, 24-hour casual eateries and an Asian Fusion option which is also included in your cruise fare.
Every ship also offers a wide range of specialty options, covering many cuisines so passengers truly have a choice. These include steakhouses, French bistros, Italian eateries, Brazilian Churrascarias, Teppanyaki and more.
Find an NCL cruise deal
If you're ready for some Freestyle cruising, you're in the right spot! Take a look at what's on offer on this NCL sale page. You can also find a range of cheap cruises and browse the best prices on our cruise sale page - you might find an NCL sale among the many offers.
For further insight into what our customers are saying about Norwegian cruise vessels, check out our review pages: