Royal Caribbean’s Symphony of the Seas, set to launch in March 2018, will be the world’s biggest cruise ship, taking the title from musical sister ship the Harmony of the Seas. Somewhat enigmatic until now, the line has just announced what we can expect to see onboard their new giant - and it’s quite the line-up.
New features ahoy
The Symphony of the Seas will offer the big, bright, splashy and hugely entertaining Royal Caribbean experience that millions of passengers love, with some new extras that have never been seen before. Here are the highlights!
• The world’s largest laser tag arena: Studio B, one of the ship’s many state-of-the-art entertainment venues, will transform into an enormous laser tag arena with glow-in-the-dark effects for a battle against friends, family and fellow passengers.
• Sugar Beach candy and ice-cream shop: Bright colours and tasty treats will tempt all tastebuds onboard!
• New shows: These will include “Flight,” a historical satire about the evolution of air travel, in the Royal Theatre, “1977”, a high-tech ice-skating show in Studio B and “HiRo”, an acrobatic spectacular in the AquaTheater.
• Puzzle Break: An oceangoing version of the popular ‘Escape’ challenge games.
• The Ultimate Family Suite: This outlandish accommodation really is ultimate, boasting a slide from the kids’ bedroom to the living room, a lego wall, a 3D movie room, a video game library, pool table, air hockey table and full-sized whirlpool.
• Playmakers Sports Bar and Arcade: This venue for sports lovers will be huge, offering big games from a number of different codes and countries on multiple big screens. It will also offer the classic arcade games.
• New specialty restaurants: These will include New England-style seafood restaurant “Hooked” and Mexican eatery “El Loco Fresh”.
Classic favourites return
The Symphony will not turn its back on the latest and greatest Royal Caribbean features which have been tried and tested on the megaships built and launched over the last few years. You’ll also find:
• Bionic Bar: A bar complete with robot bartenders, as seen on Ovation of the Seas and other new vessels.
• Ultimate Abyss: This slide is already a favourite on the Harmony of the Seas, and is the tallest at sea.
• Seven neighbourhoods: This concept of different and unique neighbourhoods like Central Park and Boardwalk will be transferred from Oasis-Class ships, bigger and better than before.
• Technology: VOOM internet, virtual balconies and wayfinder stations will all feature on the Symphony.
• Surf simulator: The beloved FlowRider simulator will be on the Symphony of the Seas to allow passengers to hang ten to their hearts’ content.
Faster and easier check-in
One new aspect of the Symphony of the Seas which doesn’t sound as exciting as laser tag but will greatly improve the cruise experience is the redesigned check in system. This is intended to eliminate lines and counters, using facial recognition, barcodes, beacons and a mobile app to streamline and speed up the tedious process. Upload a selfie and create your cruise account before even leaving home, and then smile for the camera as you breeze onto the ship and head for your room to find the key waiting.
The Symphony of the Seas will sail in the Mediterranean after her launch, visiting historic ports and beautiful beaches. Take a look at our cruise deals to get onboard this record-breaking ship!