The Perfect Getaway
The first part of the year in Australia brings with it a number of events which can combine with a cruise for a fantastic summer or autumn getaway. Cruise from Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Perth (Fremantle) and enjoy the sights and sounds of the South Pacific in addition to celebrating the various holidays in style.
Australia Day Cruises
Celebrated annually on January 26, Australia Day recognises a relatively young nation and the anniversary of the day the First Fleet arrived in Port Jackson. Nowadays marked by community festivals, concerts, BBQs and a statutory holiday, it is a beloved late-summer highlight.
P&O Australia is the only cruise line aimed exclusively at the Aussie market, so it's fitting that they offer dedicated Australia Day cruises. In 2015, Pacific Pearl and Pacific Jewel are both taking short-break cruises from Sydney over the holiday, and on the day itself all three ships in the fleet will be in Sydney Harbour where events, shows and celebrations are centred.
- The Pacific Pearl Australia Day cruise departs on January 24 and lasts three nights. There are no port stops other than Sydney, but plenty of partying onboard!
- The Pacific Jewel Australia Day cruise departs a day later on January 25 and has a slightly similar itinerary to that of its sister ship.
These short-break cruises are focused on what the ships have to offer, and P&O Australia's vessels do not disappoint. Both the Pearl and Jewel are focused on fun for everyone in true laid-back Aussie style. There are pools, acrobatic arenas, theatres, casinos, bars and so much more to keep you entertained. The Pearl has a swim-up bar for that extra tropical feeling, and the Jewel is home to the largest adventure program at sea - P&O Edge. With organised activities, live music and the added Australia Day celebrations, the time will simply fly by.
Valentine's Day Cruises
How better to celebrate this romantic holiday than on a ship at sea, where the sun sets over an uninterrupted horizon and there's no cooking or washing up, nowhere to drive, great restaurants and the possibility of a tropical beach in the mix? Cruise Sale Finder has a range of cruises over Valentine's Day, departing from the different Australian ports. Here are some favourites:
- Head out from Sydney on Voyager of the Seas for a fortnight-long New Zealand and South Pacific cruise. Departing on Feb 5 to head to New Caledonia, this itinerary will give you plenty of time to relax before Valentine's Day itself, spent at the laid-back beach city of Tauranga. The Solarium adults-only retreat is a great place to spend quality time together while at sea!
- Carnival's classic Pacific Islands cruise visits some truly dreamy destinations - Mare, Noumea, Mystery Island and Port Vila offer white sand, palm trees, local markets and a great atmosphere. Spend the most romantic day of the year on the lovely Port Vila and come back refreshed and reconnected! The fabulous Nouveau Steakhouse specialty restaurant is a great spot for a date with your loved one.
- The Fijian Jewels cruise on the Sea Princess is a Valentine's adventure, going right out to Fiji and back over 11 days and four port stops. Valentine's Day is spent at sea, where you can make the most of the ship's romantic facilities: Lotus Spa, Movies Under the Stars outdoor theatre and your own balcony, where you can have dinner served to you with Ultimate Balcony Dining.
Easter takes place at different times each year, and in 2015 it falls on April 3-6. The holiday means different things to different people, but whether you are commemorating for religious reasons or time with close family and friends, there is a four-day weekend which can be filled with a cruise! The weather is just starting to get a little colder at this time, so prolong summer and spend Easter on the high seas.
- P&O's Comedy Cruise fits neatly into the holiday weekend, departing on April 3 and lasting three nights. This one is a round-trip from Fremantle, Perth, making an easy getaway for those in Western Australia. This is a sea break so there are no port stops, but plenty of laughs as some of Australia's best comedians entertain passengers.
- Use the extra days off to take as much leave as possible and set out on an adventure at Easter time! Celebrity is offering a Transpacific cruise departing Sydney on Good Friday and finishing in Honolulu after 18 nights at sea. This epic journey on the beautiful Celebrity Solstice calls in to New Zealand and Tahiti on the way.
- Leave from Brisbane on April 4 and spend a week in paradise on the Pacific Island Hopper with P&O Australia. This tried and true itinerary is especially suitable for first-time cruisers.
Whichever holiday you choose for your cruise, you will love the relaxation of time spent at sea. Find the right one at Cruise Sale Finder.