With mother's day coming up, we at Cruise Sale Finder turned our thoughts to the different types of Mums and the cruises they want, need and deserve. Take a look at our list to see which cruising Mum most resembles yours - and get a few ideas for the ultimate gift!
The "good life" Mum
With a love of the things which make us truly happy, this Mum isn't too hard to please and is a treasure to be around. She just likes to take advantage of every moment, whether that means participating in an activity or watching the waves go by on her balcony, and will be so content to be on holiday that the details don't matter too much.
How do you know if you have a "good life" Mum on your hands? Take note:
- She smiles a lot and asks a lot of rhetorical questions such as "isn't this nice?" and "how cool is this?"
- She is up for almost any idea you can throw at her. Particularly if it involves cocktails.
- Her cheerfulness, enthusiasm and optimism in just about any situation is almost alarming.
If this is your mother, you can't go too wrong with any cruise. And let's be honest - even if it's less than ideal, she will still love it. With their huge range, great prices and frequent departures from cities all over Australia, we suggest a P&O cruise.
The "chill" Mum
This Mum works hard and relaxes hard. When it comes to her holidays, her priority is to take time out to unwind and then recharge while she has a chance. She's not worried about fitting too much into her cruise schedule because she knows that time to breathe is the most important part. Don't mistake her for being lazy - she can certainly be a busy bee, and that's why holiday relaxation is so valuable.
How can you pick out a "chill" Mum?
- She will have her eyes closed more often than not, napping or taking in the holiday vibes.
- There's usually a pool lounger with her name on it.
- Favourite phrases include "you guys go ahead" and "I'm happy here."
Sound familiar? We'd suggest a Princess cruise for your Mum. Their particular brand of laid-back elegance, great service and luxurious touches are ideal for someone who just wants to get away and relax. They even have a Mother's Day sale happening now!
The "go go go" Mum
Relaxing is not really on this Mum's agenda - outside of the scheduled times, of course. She'd like to be a little more like the chill Mum, but she can't help wanting to fill every moment with activities and fun. She is not very good at sleeping in and is a bit of a planner - always knows what she's doing next, and wants to make sure everyone else knows too.
If you have one of these Mums, chances are you'll know all about it. However, here are the signs:
- You'll find her perusing the timetable every day and taking note of unmissable activities.
- Catchphrases will include "what's next?" and "who wants to do ___ with me?"
- She is always the first out of bed.
Your busy bee Mum needs a cruise line that has plenty of options for things to do, see and experience. We recommend Carnival or Royal Caribbean, both offering packed daily schedules and plenty of facilities for fun.
The "finer things" Mum
Some people just really like the finer things in life. This kind of Mum is happy with whatever comes her way, but does have quite a refined taste and she certainly appreciates a touch of luxury. Gourmet dining, high-end products and top-notch service are very enjoyable for her - she knows they are not top priorities in life, but something in which she loves to indulge every now and then.
Do you have a "finer things" Mum? Here's how you can tell:
- She can sniff out Egyptian cotton a mile away.
- The spa is one of her favourite spots, closely followed by the specialty restaurants.
- Things that might come out of her mouth include "look at this thread count!" and "I'll have the lobster."
The choices are obvious when it comes to cruise lines for this Mum! She's a save-and-splurge kind of girl, going for quality over quantity. Celebrity is a good compromise, a premium line offering customisable levels of all-inclusive luxury - and for all-out indulgence, there are the boutique ships of Seabourn, Silversea and Azamara.
The "adventure" Mum
When this Mum goes on holiday, she is all in. Things like eating, drinking and sleeping she can do at home, so when she travels it is for the excitement and thrill of new adventures, be they on the ship or ashore. Her tales when she returns are always the best!
It's easy to sniff out an "adventure Mum."
- She's ready with a firm "yes" to any schemes you can cook up.
- You'll hear her saying "who's up for ____?" several times a day.
- She's first off the ship on any given port day.
This Mum makes her own fun, so she'll be happy on most cruise lines - it's more about the destinations! An adventurous itinerary is ideal, such as the new and interesting destinations planned for P&O's Pacific Eden. However, you might consider the Carnival Spirit as a top contender purely for the adrenaline rush that is the Green Thunder waterslide!
Of course, no-one fits exactly into a box, most of all your Mum. One of the best things about cruising is that there's something for almost any taste on each and every ship! That makes it easy to find a cruise for your Mum or anyone else. Take a look at our cruise sales page for some great deals.