If you've come out the other side of this silly season a little worse for wear, now is the time to start planning your cruisy Christmas for 2016. We're giving you permission to take a year off from the crazy schedule of events and spend one yuletide in total relaxation.
It's not so much what a cruising Christmas can offer you that makes it a great option, but what it doesn't offer. Board a ship for the holiday and you'll avoid baking, cooking, washing dishes, cleaning the house, hosting parties, awkward conversations with distant relatives and perhaps even that office potluck. It's a true escape, and a fantastic way to celebrate with just those closest to you. Enjoy meals laid on, a pool to lie beside, port stops in exotic locations, daily entertainment and not being required to do anything you'd rather not. What a gift!
Our top Christmas cruises for Australians in 2016
With the memories of Christmas craziness fresh in your mind, now is the perfect time to plot your getaway in 2016! Here are a few great options for the Christmas escapee.
- The South Pacific and Fiji Cruise by Royal Caribbean departs aboard the Explorer of the Seas on the 22nd of December 2016 and heads out into the tropical isles of the Pacific for 12 nights - a great length of time to wind all the way down after a busy year.
- The New Zealand Cruise on the Emerald Princess heads across the ditch to enjoy the Kiwi summer for a full fortnight. It departs on the 19th of December 2016 so you can get away before the madness really begins, and make the most of an elegant Princess cruise.
- Another South Pacific and Fiji Cruise, this one is by Celebrity Cruises onboard the stunning Celebrity Solstice. The elegant vessel spends 12 nights exploring New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji after departing Sydney on the 23rd of December 2016, leaving plenty of time to catch up with family before you go!
- The New Zealand Cruise on the Ovation of the Seas is one of the few chances to get on this enormous ship in Australia - for a while at least! It departs on the 15th of December 2016 from Sydney and circumnavigates NZ for an unforgettable journey on a ship which is at the cutting edge of cruise entertainment with features like a skydiving simulator, a circus school, bumper cars and endless dining options.
- The Christmas Cruise aboard the Pacific Jewel leaves from Melbourne - good news for the Victorians among us! It departs on the 16th of December 2016 and makes the long trek to the Pacific isles for a 13-night getaway. Christmas Day itself is spent in Noumea on this cruise, so you can celebrate with the New Caledonians.
- This Papua New Guinea Cruise by Princess Cruises is perfect for anyone wanting an exotic escape over Christmas. It takes place onboard the Sea Princess, leaving Brisbane on the 18th of December to head up to the lovely ports of PNG. The elegant ship and beautiful Melanesian country will make your Christmas dreams come true!
- This Christmas Cruise on new P&O fleet member Pacific Eden is a domestic itinerary heading from Sydney up to the tropical Northern Queensland. At 10 nights long, it is an ideal length for those with limited time off, and a great way to pass the festive season without straying too far from home.
Here's to a cruisy Christmas in 2016!