It's an exciting time for the cruise industry, with innovative changes dazzling ocean goers every few months and top cruise lines upping the ante at every turn.
â€œCelebrity Edge is one of the most exciting, innovative and transformational ships I have ever been involved with,â€ said Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd, Richard D. Fain. â€œThe new features and refined design will establish a new baseline for ships from here on out,"
Is a bold statement like that warranted in the company of other industry game changers introduced in recent months?
You be the judge.
Celebrity Edge Innovations
It appears that Celebrity is less about tech development for its own sake, and is much more focused on the experiential gains cruise lovers are sure to appreciate. The â€œarchitectural dream teamâ€ who designed the Edge made maximising space and views the absolute priority. Interior designer Kelly Hoppen, architect Tom Wright of WKK and American designer Nate Berkus aim to push boundaries with their design - the first major ship class overhaul for Celebrity in 10 years.
Unique areas to lounge and dine
Keen to bring the outside inside, the Edge invites guests to enjoy its horticulturalist tended Rooftop Garden.
- Enjoy games and activities in the midst of greenery during the day.
- At night swing with the live music or enjoy â€œA Taste of Filmâ€, outdoor movie-and-meal combos.
Take a ride on the Magic Carpet and enjoy an exciting new experience with every visit.
- Cantilevered to the side of the ship, the Magic Carpet mechanically shifts to four different decks throughout the cruise.
- It is the size of a tennis court and transforms into a new and exciting Edge experience at the various decks, ensuring guests are delighted by something new with every visit.
Expanded staterooms, bigger bathrooms
Edge staterooms have 23 percent more square footage and 10 percent larger bathrooms than Celebrity's Solstice Class. An infinity effect is also employed to bring guests closer to the ocean, allowing open-air access with the touch of a button.
More options for private, tranquil spaces
Sure to be a crowd pleaser, The Retreat is Celebrity's answer to modern cruisers desire for seclusion and space without losing the excitement and variety of the cruising experience. This private area features the following:
- A pool on The Retreat Sundeck.
- Round-the-clock butler service in the Retreat Lounge.
- Exclusive Suite Class dining with Luminae @ Retreat.
Celebrity opted for more than twice the number of suites on board that of Celebrity Solstice Class, categories outlined below:
- Two Iconic Suites at the top end offer 2600 sq. ft. of panoramic views in its two bedroom, two bathroom space above the bridge, with a 700 sq. ft verandah.
- Two Penthouse Suites boast two bedrooms, two bathrooms, sizable soaking tubs on the veranda, large dual walk-through showers, and expansive walk-in closets.
- Six split-level Edge Villas offer private plunge pools and direct walk-out access to The Retreat Sundeck. Two stories of windows deliver jaw dropping views.
- 146 large, outward-facing Sky Suites.
All of the suites and double occupancy Edge Staterooms promise total luxury with plush king-size cashmere mattresses on which to lay your head, personal butler services, and access to The Retreat.
How to book
Keen to experience these fabulous new innovations for yourself? Celebrity Edge debuts in December 2018 with sailings to the Caribbean and will homeport in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. Plan your Edge experience and book today.